December 23rd, 2020
This is for the big night in or even just to add a bit of flair as you welcome in the end of the working day or week. The Espresso Martini is timeless, it's class and it's super simple to turn into something extra special with the right ingredients and a festive twist...
Picture the scene...it’s the early 80s in a Soho bar, and the barkeep - Dick Bradsell - is approached by a (now apparently world famous) model, who approaches him with quite the request: something to “wake me up and f**k me up”. His solution was a combination of vodka, fresh espresso, coffee liqueur and sugar, shaken into a frothy mix of bittersweet addiction.
The beauty here is the simplicity, with only two key ingredients on the table you’ve gotta use the best. Let’s start with the coffee.
We recommend using our deliciously rich ‘dark’ roast, pre-ground to perfection you can brew up a super intense, silky smooth and nutty espresso. The deeper roast makes for a more concentrated brew as more oils are extracted, making for a beautiful creamy texture. If you prefer, you could also make your espresso using a coffee machine and one of our fully home-compostable pods!
*pro tip - keep your cocktail glasses in the freezer prior to serving then take out just before you serve. There's nothing less 'cool' than a warm espresso martini.
What you'll need:
- 75ml freshly brewed espresso
- 65ml vodka
- 75ml coffee liqueur (such as Kahlua or Tia Maria)
- 6 coffee beans (optional)
- A pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Get your coffee brewed strong. Whatever method you're using add slightly more coffee than usual and make sure it's ground fine. Let's get all of the flavour and oils out.
- Into a shaker add the liqueur, vodka, coffee and ice. (Use a jam jar if you’ve not got a shaker!) If you like your drink on the sweeter side, add sugar syrup at this point, or sugar to the hot coffee so it dissolves.
- Fix the lid and shake hard.
- Pour through a strainer into cold serving glass.
- Garnish with three coffee beans & sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon for that truly festive vibe (both optional).
- Drink up!
And there you have it, the perfect way of shaking off those xmas blues!
And of course, we know you will you angels, but enjoy responsibly!
Written by Black Insomnia
Know someone who could do with this awesome recipe? Share it with them!